Monday, November 9, 2009

End of the season

So, Oct. 23 was the last day of our CSA... a sad occasion! But it has been a great season. The last delivery was heavy on root vegetables - here we have some carrots, parsnips, beets and turnips, plus a butternut squash. It was not much fun lugging all that stuff home!



We also got quite a few apples. The apples were so tart that we deemed them inedible unless baked. I made a roasted squash and apple casserole (which I sadly forgot to take a picture of), which we had for dinner one night but could have been a dessert too. Here is the recipe - next time I make it I will probably cut down on the sugar, it really doesn't need that much. The next morning I had the leftovers on top of my oatmeal, which was divine.

I have been bad about taking pictures recently, but here are a couple:

Turnip and parsnip gratin. Doesn't sound all that appealing, but it was really good. The recipe is from Cooking Light.



Pizza! With sliced roasted beets, goat cheese, and a walnut-olive oil spread. Mmmmmm.



Without the CSA, I made a trip to Russo's this weekend to stock up on some produce. Even though it's not all local, they do have a lot of local stuff and the non-local stuff is very high quality. I bought a few more squash, apples, pomegranates (!), and the highlight... brussels sprouts! When we got to the store and I saw the brussels sprouts piled high, I let out a squeal of the sort that, as Catherine observed, most people reserve for sightings of Brad Pitt. :) I roasted my sprouts with some maple syrup, mustard and olive oil, and they were delightful.

Bonus fun: Catherine's post on our donut-making adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment