Friday, October 9, 2009

Peppers galore

Some aspect of our bizarre weather this year seems to have led to a bumper crop of peppers. We've been getting green peppers, yellow peppers, red peppers, brown peppers, and some weird-looking multicolored peppers, in ridiculous quantities. These are all from last week:



Confession: I don't even LIKE peppers. Especially raw peppers (unless they are buried in a sandwich, where they do provide a nice crunch). So what on earth am I going to do with all of these? Well, here are a few of my solutions so far:



Beans and rice - a classic. I used pinto beans, brown rice, some leftover salsa, peppers of course, topped with cheddar cheese. I made extra rice and used it the next night to make fried rice. I love this recipe, which is from one of the Moosewood cookbooks - Simple Suppers. I always vary the vegetables based on what I have on hand. This time, along with the obvious ingredient, I added kale and edamame (also both from the farm share).



This frenzy made only a small dent in the pepper pile, so I decided to roast a few of them. This turned out to be pretty simple - it took about 30 minutes in a 450 degree oven.



These don't look all that appealing, but they did make a lovely pizza topping (there's also some farm eggplant and some provolone cheese on that pie). The rest of the roasted peppers are in the fridge waiting to go on sandwiches. Mmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment