Monday, September 7, 2009

Alien vegetables

So, this vegetable did not come from our farm:



This is a yucca, which is pretty darn ugly, but I have heard good things about it so I got one at Russo's a couple of days ago. I decided to make it into yucca fries to go with tonight's dinner. To make the fries, I peeled and sliced the yucca, tossed it with olive oil, salt and pepper, and baked it for about 25 minutes at 400 degrees.



Yucca fries on the left, baked tofu (marinated with maple syrup, sesame oil, soy sauce, mustard, salt and pepper) on the right. There is some ketchup hiding in the back of the plate. The fries were pretty good, though they didn't seem to have tons of flavor. I like pretty much any root vegetable though, so I was happy, especially with ketchup to dip them in. The colors on my plate look so boring! I did have a nice green salad too but forgot to take a picture of it.

For lunch today, I used the other half of the mysterious winter squash to make some soup. First I cut the squash in cubes and steamed it, then sauteed a small red onion in some olive oil and added the squash and some chicken broth. (Yes I know vegetarians are not supposed to eat chicken broth - I'll have to devote another post to this at some point.) Then I blended it up with my immersion blender (the best kitchen appliance ever) and added about a tablespoon of curry powder, some salt and pepper. This particular squash was pretty mild and made a very nice soup. (I also had a sandwich with tofurky, hummus, pesto, cheddar and some veggies but it wasn't particularly photogenic.)

No comments:

Post a Comment