Monday, September 14, 2009

More summer

Tonight I used up what will probably be the last zucchini of the season. I'm glad we got some last week, because my friend Catherine had sent me a zucchini recipe that I really wanted to try - zucchini casserole. Here are her instructions (she adapted the recipe from The Joy of Cooking stuffed zucchini recipe):

sautee 1 cubed onion, minced garlic (i used 3 cloves) and 3 zucchini cut into 1/2" cubes (i used both green zucchini and yellow squash)
season with salt, pepper, and perhaps some tarragon, thyme, or rosemary
sautee until *almost* done - you don't want it to turn to mush in the oven.
pour this mixture into a baking dish and dot with goat cheese.

top with the following mixture:

2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. grated parmesan
1/3 c. bread crumbs
1/3 c. fresh, chopped parsley
black pepper

sprinkle with olive oil and bake until topping is golden brown and zucchini are very soft.


I left out the parsley and added some leftover sliced tomato. The casserole took about 25 minutes in the oven, and I served it over barley. It was excellent! Thanks for the recipe Catherine! :)



(Catherine also has a blog about her adventures in eating locally - http://somervillelocal.blogspot.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment