Sunday, August 23, 2009

Broccoli fiesta

Last year, the broccoli patch at our farm got flooded, washing away most of the broccoli crop. Of all the veggies, my favorite ones had to get flooded! But so far this year, we have gotten broccoli three or four times. This week, I decided to make a broccoli and corn salad, since we also got four ears of corn. This was one of those dishes that I turned over in my mind for a day or so before making it, and my visions became more and more elaborate. My first thought was to mix the broccoli and corn together with some chickpeas and add soy sauce for a nice Asian flavor. Then, after we had lemon salad dressing on Friday night, I thought I might use that instead of soy sauce. But, I forgot to save the extra dressing and we had no more lemons. But... we did have a lime! This took me in a new direction - cumin-lime-olive oil dressing, with black beans instead of chick peas. That's what I ended up doing. This is one medium sized head of broccoli, kernels from four ears of corn, one can of black beans, and about half a cup of leftover brown rice. The dressing is 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil, about a teaspoon of cumin, and juice from half a lime.



We snuck two small Tupperware containers of this into the movie theater yesterday, since we went around lunchtime and I knew the movie (Julie and Julia) would make me hungry. The movie was great, and so was the salad.

1 comment:

  1. Anne, I think this sounds delicious - and I love that you snuck it into the movies. You have joined a small - but elite - club of people I know who would even consider doing this...

    ReplyDelete