Monday, August 17, 2009

Sage

Tonight's dinner was simple but yummy: Annie's mac and cheese, doctored up with some roasted farm veggies - summer squash, purple carrots, purple pepper and onion. I roasted the veggies with fresh sage, also from the farm. Most weeks the CSA gives us a choice of herbs, and it's usually basil or cilantro, sometimes dill or rosemary or thyme, but this is the first time I've seen sage there. I love sage but normally just use it with roasted butternut squash, which is obviously not in season, so I decided to toss it in with some summer veggies. It worked really well. I used about 15 sage leaves, chopped, and roasted everything (plus olive oil, salt and pepper), for about 30 minutes, then mixed it in with the mac and cheese.



This whole process massively overheated the kitchen, so we were forced into the living room to actually consume dinner. Why do I insist on using the oven AND stove when it is 90 degrees out??

P.S. A fun fact from "In Defense of Food," which I am reading now: The average American spends only half an hour a day preparing food. Yikes. It sometimes takes me that long just to pack my lunch (and snacks!) for the following day. Which I admit is a little ridiculous....

No comments:

Post a Comment